X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • booker76
    • Nov 2012

Europe vacation

My wife and I are interested to go to europe for vacation this summer. The places I would really like to see are Rome and Paris. The rests could be a bonus. Have been asking around at most travel agents in Jakarta and it costs about $3000 for 12 days for each person. are those cities really worth that much money for a vacation? Any one been to those cities?
    Last edited by booker76; 22-03-15, 19:49.
  • Puspawarna
    Banned
    • Dec 2008

It depends on what $3,000 means to you. Is this a once-in-a-lifetime huge trip for you? Or is it something you can easily afford?

I've been to Rome. For what it's worth, we did enjoy it very much. For us, some of the pleasures were:

- Taking the steps to the top of St. Peter's Basilica. You don't have to be in fantastic shape to do that, but you do have to be reasonably fit.
    - EATING!!! If you love food, you'll have a great time just wandering in to any little hole-in-the-wall dining establishment and sampling what's on offer. If you don't care about wine, cheese, pizza, antipasti, etc. then you won't have nearly as much fun doing this.
    - Going to the Coliseum and the Sistine Chapel. If you don't mind the crowds (and there are crowds), it just really neat to see something you've read about and seen pictures of throughout your life.

Only you can say whether these things would matter to you or not.

Comment

• booker76
      • Nov 2012

yes we want to have a bite at an italian restaurant. What italian food is worth trying besides Pizza and spaghetti?
      Last edited by booker76; 23-03-15, 03:48.

Comment

• Puspawarna
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by booker76 View Post
        yes we want to have a bite at an italian restaurant. What italian food is worth trying besides Pizza and spaghetti?
        wine, cheese, pasta, soup, bread ...

Comment

• naughtygab
          • May 2011

how many days would you spend for this vacation?
          last time i went to eu for vacation i took a 29 days trip , without travel agent. i guess the biggest expenses would be on the hotel. ( i stayed at some relatives places, but also in some hotel and hostel)
          my friend told me he had just got a 2 weeks vacation to paris and milan, they did on themselves. for paris, they booked the taxi (airport to the hotel ) from the internet. they bought 'tiket terusan' for metro and museums (separately) for 5 days you enter all museum for free.
          you can browse the internet for your own schedule.

i dont really like arranged tours since it means you will only be rushing from one point to another just to make pict at trocadero ( eiffel) , then move to notredame, move to musse de louvre , make picture at the triangle.. then off to versailes. .. no chance to see monalisa ( well IMO not really worth to see her , compare to the super gigantic paintings , the crowning of isabella - if not mistaken that's the title- that is much bigger than my biggest wall in my house)

there's a reason why people say je t'aime paris ..
          enjoy ...
          dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

• Jaime C
            • Jan 2011

It really depends on the level of luxury you're expecting. I've done monthlong trips to Europe that cost about $100 per day, including airfare/food. For longer stays, I'd rent an apartment to keep costs down. I'd check out airbnb, certainly.

If if you keep your eyes open, you can often find deals to Milan. Paris and Rome can be a bit pricier. In the last couple of months I've seen some $300-$500 flights from SE Asia. Check out http://www.google.com/flights and http://www.skyscanner.com. I really like Skyscanner, as you can look for cheap fares for a whole month or year.

Using a website like http://www.flyertalk.com and subscribing to the mileage run forum turns up some really great fares. Just this week, there was a $450 return business class ticket from Texas to China. You have to monitor it frequently, though, as these "Jumbo" fares are around for just hours.

On some occasions I've found that staying in 4-5 star hotels, that include Club access, are cheaper than paying for a mid level hotel and buying food separately. Some hotels loyalty program may give free rooms, upgrades and free club access depending on your status.

Do be careful in Rome and Paris. Lots of thieving and scams. Spain and Romania are hot spots, too.

I stayed at the Rome Hilton Cavalleri (Now a Waldorf-Astoria) a decade ago for a 3-4 days. I had a great room on the top floor with a Vatican view. I used hotel points, and got free club lounge access, health club entry, too. I was even going to eat in their restaurant, until I saw the €32 hamburger was the cheapest item. A tiny can of Coke from the minibar cost €8. It was much easier to walk 10 meters to the club to get it for free.
            Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

• SmallWorld
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by booker76 View Post
              My wife and I are interested to go to europe for vacation this summer. The places I would really like to see are Rome and Paris. The rests could be a bonus. Have been asking around at most travel agents in Jakarta and it costs about $3000 for 12 days for each person. are those cities really worth that much money for a vacation? Any one been to those cities?
              3000 /2 people = 1500 per person for 12 days
              1500 / 12 days = 125 $ per day per person
              place for sleeping B&B, campsites, hostel, hotel? the cost will vary
              you said Rome and Paris - both are capitals and any capital the costs for accommodation are much higher
              In Paris prices can start from 20 euro per night / person for very cheap places.
              From your 125 per day I would take half away for accommodation leaving other half for transportation, tickets, meals in restaurants ect.

This question: "are those cities really worth that much money for a vacation?" you have to answer yourself.

Comment

• Jaime C
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by SMALLWORLD View Post
                3000 /2 people = 1500 per person for 12 days
                You should reread the original post.
                Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

• SmallWorld
                  • Feb 2015

You are right Jamie. 3000 usd per person for Europe is double of what I have calculated in my previous post. My mistake. I must be still... sleepy.

Comment

• BAJakarta
                    • Nov 2012

I have been to both cities many times. I far prefer Rome (and other cities in Italy) to Paris, although Paris does have its charm. But of course it depends on you and what you want and like. Aside from the obvious (a certain tower, and perhaps Notre Dame) I am not so impressed by the "sights" in Paris (there are some great museums but I am not a museum person). On the other hand it is an overall charming city (esp certain parts such as left bank) with lots of great food, high fashion shopping if you are into that etc. Paris also has the "romantic" allure that all women seem to love...

Rome, on the other hand, has sooooo much ancient history and many sites that still exist right smack in the middle of a bustling city - so to me much more interesting. There are also many other great cities in Italy. If this is a once in a lifetime trip, then by all means visit both cities. But if not - it might be worth considering an "Italian tour" visiting Florence, Rome, Venice, Sorrento/Amalfi coast (and nearby here you can see Pompei) - maybe also some other smaller cities like Assisi, Sienna - all really great places to visit.

Comment

• booker76
                      • Nov 2012

Thanks for all the sharing.... I kinda like Rome better than Paris. But we can't just travel to Italy while we are in Europe. That would be a waste of time and money. I would like to visit Rome, Paris and two other cities while we are in Europe.

12 days is a good length.... I don't have a month to spend on a vacation. I have kids....

Comment

• rabbit_39
                        • Sep 2010

Also, think about making your own itinerary and booking your own flights. I've helped my friends do this throughout the US in places I was familiar with (and a couple I wasn't familiar with). Internet and Google is your friend and you get to do the things that are interesting to you. Plus it could be cheaper. Sardinia is one place I WANT to go to.

Comment

• BAJakarta
                          • Nov 2012

I disagree that a trip only to Italy would be a waste of time and money - although do agree that it might be an opportunity missed (to see other countries) if it will be your only trip to Europe. I think that sometimes it is a better experience to explore a country more deeply as opposed to the "5 countries in 10 days" approach that will have you on planes, busses, taxis or trains as much as you are exploring - but then again to each their own. If you will definitely visit several countries/cities, I recommend also visiting one or more of the following - these to me are some of the more picturesque "main" cities with lots of character:

Prague, Budapest, Amsterdam, Munich, Barcelona - and actually best of all in my book is the city spanning both Europe and Asia - Istanbul.

Comment

• LamaSekali
                            Certified Troll
                            • Feb 2015

I would recommend Paris, Venice, Prague, Amsterdam [Paris, only because all Indonesians seem to need an eiffel tower photo - otherwise I would put Rome above Paris on the list]

Comment

• BAJakarta
                              • Nov 2012

I agree on Venice - if you can only pick one city in Italy - UNLESS you are really interested in seeing ancient ruins/Roman history (or unless you are Catholic) I think Venice is a much more visually interesting city for a short visit than Rome......

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍