• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kresnanto
    • Sep 2011

Bringing phone from overseas

Good day everyone!

I have a question about cell phone regulation and perhaps this topic was discussed here in the past so I apologize for posting this again.

I am about to head to Indonesia in early December for 25 days and this time I need to use my phone from the US due to an application installed on this phone that is needed for my work. My phone is an unlocked phone and can use any SIM in the US but due to regulations in Indonesia, I was told that I still need to register "somewhere" at the airport before I can use an Indonesian SIM card. I would really appreciate your advice on this.
    1. Where can I register my phone's IMEI? is that can be done online? upon arrival? and how long take until I can insert the sim card and start using the service?
    2. What company I can use? any services like Telkomsel, XL will work?
    3. What kind of plan do I need? I will use this phone mostly for messenger, email, and team conference which is all "data only"

Thank you and all details will be greatly appreciated!

B
  • marcus
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by kresnanto View Post
    (1) Where can I register my phone's IMEI? is that can be done online? upon arrival? and how long take until I can insert the sim card and start using the service?

(2) What company I can use? any services like Telkomsel, XL will work?

(3) What kind of plan do I need? I will use this phone mostly for messenger, email, and team conference which is all "data only"

(1) See below the information from the Indonesian Customs about it .

(2) From what I understand , if your IMEI is registered , you should be able to use any package of any Indonesian operator .

Revision : If you do not register the IMEI (see post no.3 below) I think you will have to use the "SIM card for tourists" (offered by some operators) .

(3) So , from what I said in (2) above , you may use maybe hundreds of them (data/kuota only) if you register the IMEI , but only a few packages otherwise .

https://www.telkomsel.com/perdana/tourist-prepaid-card (Tourist Card)

https://indosatooredoo.com/portal/en/psvisitindonesia ("Travel On")

https://smartfren.freshdesk.com/supp...a-tourist-pack (Tourist Cards)

------------------------------------------------------

From https://bcbogor.beacukai.go.id/qa-te...gistrasi-imei/ (Indonesian Government Customs Department , Oct 2020)

Passengers and tourists who come to Indonesia if they use international roaming do not need to be registered, but if they use a domestic provider, the IMEI must be registered first.

How to register IMEI?
    First, download the "Mobile Beacukai" application or visit www.beacukai.go.id. then fill in the personal data form, flight number, gadget specifications and other fields.
    Second, after the form is filled in completely, you will get a QR Code and Registration ID.
    Third, show the QR Code to the Customs Officer when you arrive at the arrival airport.
    Fourth, pay state levies if the price of the gadget exceeds USD 500.
    Finally, IMEI data will be sent automatically to the Indonesian Government Regulator and the gadget is ready to use.

How much is the IMEI registration fee at the airport?
    IMEI registration upon arrival at the arrival airport is free of charge, however on cellphones, handheld computers and tablets subjected to Import Duties and Taxes for Import , the following are applied : BM 10%, VAT : 10% and PPh : 10% (if showing Indonesian Tax Number Card) or 20% (if not).

Each person can only register the IMEI of a maximum of 2 gadgets and is given a tax waiver of USD 500 per person for each arrival. If it exceeds USD 500, the excess difference will be subject to the tax rates according to the provisions above.

What if I forget to register IMEI when you arrive at the airport?
    Register IMEI through the official Customs website as described above. Registration can be done no later than 60 days from the day of arrival. The QR Code obtained, please scan it at the nearest Customs Office by bringing your original passport, ticket/boarding pass and the gadget you want to register. In this case, the tax exemption of USD 500 is not granted like it is when IMEI registration is done at the airport.​

Comment

• marcus
      • Jul 2008

So now it looks like it is not mandatory to register the IMEI if you stay less than 90 days in Indonesia .

From https://www.beacukai.go.id/faq/keten...rasi-imei.html (Indonesia Customs Department , Fev 2022

Question : If you only stay temporarily (ex: tourists, business purposes) in Indonesia, does the HKT (mobile phone, handheld computer, tablet) that you carry have to be registered for IMEI?

Answer : IMEI registration is not required, if HKT from overseas used in Indonesia:
      - continue to use a SIM card from the country of origin (roaming);
      - using an Indonesian SIM card with registration at a telecommunication outlet to get access to telecommunications networks for 90 days.​

Comment

• marcus
        • Jul 2008

From https://www.beacukai.go.id/faq/keten...rasi-imei.html (Indonesia Customs Department , Fev 2022

Is there a fee when registering IMEI? None, but there is a customs obligation for the import of HKT (mobile phones, handheld computers, tablets) in the form of import duties and taxes for importation (PDRI) which must be met in accordance with applicable regulations. (According to PER-13/BC/2021) How much is the import duty and import tax that must be paid when registering IMEI on HKT (Mobile Phone, Handheld Computer, Tablet) imported through passenger luggage? - Import Duty of 10% (ten percent) of the customs value; - Value Added Tax (VAT) of 11% (eleven percent) of the import value; and - Income Tax (PPh) Article 22 imports of: a) 10% (ten percent) of the import value, in the event that the passenger or crew of the means of transportation has a Taxpayer Identification Number (NPWP); or b) 20% (twenty percent) of the import value, in the event that the passenger or crew of the means of transportation does not have a Taxpayer Identification Number (NPWP). (According to PER-13/BC/2021)​
        The provisions for exemption from import duties and taxes in the context of importing HKT (Mobile Phones, Handheld Computers, Tablets) brought from abroad follow the provisions for exemption from passenger luggage, which are as follows: Granted an exemption of USD500 per person per arrival for HKT (Mobile Phone, Handheld Computer, Tablet) which was registered while still in the customs area/not yet out of the customs area;​ ...

Comment

• kresnanto
          • Sep 2011

Hi Marcus, thanks for your response.
          I will fall into this category as I will visit Indonesia for a short period of time; however, using my original Sim card for international roaming will cost more, and I prefer to use the local Indonesia Sim card.

It seems like I need to stop by a local store (i.e., Telkomsel) to get the sim card, where they will also register my IMEI for activation. Hopefully, I can immediately start using it.

Thanks again!

B

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          So now it looks like it is not mandatory to register the IMEI if you stay less than 90 days in Indonesia .

Question : If you only stay temporarily (ex: tourists, business purposes) in Indonesia, does the HKT (mobile phone, handheld computer, tablet) that you carry have to be registered for IMEI?

Answer : IMEI registration is not required, if HKT from overseas used in Indonesia:
          - continue to use a SIM card from the country of origin (roaming);
          - using an Indonesian SIM card with registration at a telecommunications outlet to get access to telecommunications networks for 90 days.​

Comment

• marcus
            • Jul 2008

... they will also register my IMEI for activation...

I guess they will not register your IMEI , but just let you use the internet up to 90 days . If your IMEI is registered you would have no time limit to use + could use any normally available SIM card .

They may register you as an user (as it is also required , each of us can register 3 SIM cards# in our name) .

# I guess , 3 SIM card of each operator

Comment

• Tappio88
              • Aug 2023

I am moving to Jakarta soon and will stay there about 120 days. I got two smartphones, which I want to use with local sim cards. One phone's value is 350$ and another one's values is 250$. My question is do I need to pay for the exceeding value 250$+350$=600$ --> 100$?

Or, is the 500$ value for one item, which allows me to bring two max 500$ devices for free?

Comment

• kresnanto
                • Sep 2011

I just back from Indo last week and managed to register my phone at the airport and pay the tax.
                Looking at the process, they process it individually and each person can bring max of 2 phones.
                each phone will be assessed individually as you pay tax individually as well.
                if your phone cost less than $500 each then you dont have to pay anything. But, you must have proof that you purchase the phone for such price.

I bought used iphone 12 pro max for $605 and I have official invoice showing I pay it for $605 so I only pay tax from the $105 (above $500 threshold)

Comment

• Tappio88
                  • Aug 2023

Thank you so much for the quick answer!

Comment

• marcus
                    • Jul 2008

...if your phone cost less than $500 each then you dont have to pay anything...

In my view , this US$500 is not related specifically to phone(s) . If the officer checks your baggage , the total thing's value you can bring for tax free is US$500 .

Comment

• marcus
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Tappio88 View Post
                      ...One phone's value is 350$ and another one's values is 250$. My question is do I need to pay for the exceeding value 250$+350$=600$ --> 100$?...

Yes , according to the Customs website (see below)

If you don't want to pay tax because you were checked by Customs' officer , I suggest you to register only one phone and use the other through Wi-Fi .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From https://bcngurahrai.beacukai.go.id/b...aan-penumpang/

[...Every passenger from abroad are obligated to declare all the belongings from abroad in Customs Declaration including personal medication, food, beverage, money, etc. Why? It is because the belongings you bring is considered as import goods. Certain goods are not allowed and some needed legal permission. Also, import goods is subjected to tax. However, every passenger is exempted USD 500 per person. If you bring goods with value more than the exemption, the excess will be taxed...]

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍