X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheSion
    • Mar 2012

Nearing the 5 Years of Lifetime KITAP

Once upon a time, there was someone that thought it was easy, happens that someone was a bit wrong.

I remember reading an old post from atlantis in which, luckily for him, was described how it was a simple interview followed by biometrics. Not to say he was wrong, he just described his experience and I assumed mine would be similar, and sadly was a bit (it is - still ongoing) more complicated. I will be posting all the details just for others to prepare accordingly.

My lifetime KITAP was due to end this 27th, so just by some common sense I went to go with the proceedings on the last 19th to give me a bit of margin in case things would go south.

So on the 19th I arrived to the KanIm (Bali) armed with my passport and KITAP - Thing is, since four years ago I forgot where the original card was, and I have been going on with my life with a copy (just a color plastified photocopy). With this copy, I have gone in and out of the country countless times, opened bank accounts, proceeded with legal matters like getting my WNA KTP or get included in the Kartu Keluarga, even reported to police in a couple occasions, etc. To summarize, I have done everything and more with this copy of my KITAP and never had a single problem with it.

But that day in the KanIm they notified me that to extend my lifetime KITAP not only I needed my original passport with the KITAP properly stamped but I also needed the ORIGINAL KITAP card.

To my dismay, the procedure to get a new KITAP card would take at least a few weeks, to which the petugas kindly said not to worry that they would help so I do not overstay and in consequence lose my residence permit.

Had I gone to process the extension of the lifetime KITAP within a week of its expiration, I would have lost my nearly 20 years of resident permit adventures.

Now, the request for a new KITAP physical card requires quite a lot of documentation, this is what was asked from me:

a) Surat Permohonan
    b) Surat Permintaan from the sponsor
    c) Daftar Riwayat Hidup (CV)
    d) Photocopy of passport, first page plus KITAP stamp page.
    e) Photocopy of KTP WNA
    d) Photocopy of sponsor KTP and Kartu Keluarga
    e) If sponsored by wife which is my case, photocopy of the Akta Nika
    f) Three different forms (24 - 25 - 27) provided by the KanIm
    g) Photocopy of the KITAP (I had but i wonder how someone that lose the card and have no copies would comply)
    h) Pernyataan Integrasi
    i) Pay a fee of 1,000,000 IDR

Luckily for me, my wife has all docs in the cloud and we could comply with all the requirements on the spot. After paying, you are requested to wait till they call you for an interview regarding the misplacement/loss of the KITAP card, which takes (in my case) one week to happen.

On the 24th I had not received any notification for the interview so needless to say I was quite worried, so started to force my mind to remember where the heck had i kept the card (I knew I kept it somewhere and made copies to go around), and to my relief I ended up finding it. The very same day I received a message from KanIm inviting me to go for the interview today, the 25th.

Notifying them that my KITAP original card had been retrieved, the interview was cancelled (but of course my 1 million rupiah were gone).

I was thinking that with the original KITAP card all would be easy, just to find out that, again, the whole lot of documentation was needed - from the points a to h - everything had to be presented, unfortunately none of the documents from the request to change the KITAP could be reused. On top of this, for some reason this time we were requested to present the original akta nika (certificate of marriage).

One important point, in the list of documents required for the KITAP extension also was included a copy of the SKTT, even though I wasn't asked for it - I think the petugas had mercy on me. Also, quite important to mention that the physical presence of my sponsor was required.

So there we go again, filling forms, making photocopies and signing stuff the whole morning. Then proceed to pay the MERP (they never asked if i needed or wanted one, looks like its compulsory now) which is a fee of 1,750,000 IDR for 2 years of re-entry permit.

Positive point is that as soon as you pay the MERP fee apparently you are already inside the system as 'extended/report done' so in theory even tho in two days my KITAP ends I will not be overstaying because... I have been prompted to do the interview + biometrics on the 27th, after which I guess there will be more wait.

In the KanIm the petugas were kind enough to allow me to bring the original akta nika on the 27th to the interview, so no forth and back was needed.

I am aware the story is not over, so will complete it as I finalize the process.

Regards,

TS
  • marcus
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by TheSion View Post
    (1) ...in the list of documents required for the KITAP extension also was included a copy of the SKTT, even though I wasn't asked for it - I think the petugas had mercy on me...

(2) Positive point is that as soon as you pay the MERP fee apparently you are already inside the system as 'extended/report done' so in theory even tho in two days my KITAP ends I will not be overstaying...

(3) I am aware the story is not over, so will complete it as I finalize the process.

(1) I guess SKTT was mistakenly in the list . It doesn't make sense as the SKTT is issued only for KITAS holders .

(2) Usually if the (extension , conversion,..) of a stay permit process is submitted on time , we are free from overstay fine . Besides that , in your case the KITAP is not expiring .

(3) As the consequence of (3) above , I think you can consider it as done .

PP no.27 Year 2014
    Article 76
    (1) Foreigners holding time unlimited KITAP must report every 5 years to the Immigration Office responsible for the area where the foreigner lives .
    (2) Reporting as intended in paragraph (1) is carried out by the sponsor or foreigner'responsible person by...attaching :
    a. A valid passport;
    b. KITAP; and
    c. residence certificate.
    Article 77
    (1) Reporting as intended in Article 76 must be carried out no sooner than 3 months and no later than the day before the 5 years expires...

Comment

• TheSion
      • Mar 2012

Hi marcus thanks for your post my friend.

Yes indeed I agree with everything you've mentioned, the SKTT surprised me as well, the point is that it was clearly listed in a 'freshly printed brochure', shown below.

kitapreqs2.jpg

c. residence certificate.
      I think this is what they refer to as SKTT in this case, even tho the concept is slightly different.

(1) Reporting as intended in Article 76 must be carried out no sooner than 3 months and no later than the day before the 5 years expires...
      Yes this is what I base the theory that once you have the bukti pembayaran of the MERP pretty much proves anyway that you have in fact, processed the report.

(1) Foreigners holding time unlimited KITAP must report...
      And in this point i strongly disagree with the government, since one thing is to REPORT, and a different thing is EXTEND (which is what they have just made me do) and why I have had to go through all the document compilation. I CLEARLY explained to the petugas that I did not want to extend, just to report as it is my duty as holder of the unlimited KITAP.

But again, we both know very well that everything here is up to their interpretation and that sometimes there is little we can do with complaining about it. I am so tempted to bring the articles you've quoted in your post to my 27th interview and see what the kepala KanIm has to say about it (probably i will be on the losing side tho).

Will keep updating.

Regards,

TS
      Attached Files

Comment

• marcus
        • Jul 2008

(4) ...the SKTT surprised me as well, the point is that it was clearly listed in a 'freshly printed brochure', shown below.

(5) Yes this is what I base the theory that once you have the bukti pembayaran of the MERP pretty much proves anyway that you have in fact, processed the report.

(6) And in this point i strongly disagree with the government, since one thing is to REPORT, and a different thing is EXTEND (which is what they have just made me do) and why I have had to go through all the document compilation. I CLEARLY explained to the petugas that I did not want to extend, just to report as it is my duty as holder of the unlimited KITAP.
        But again, we both know very well that everything here is up to their interpretation and that sometimes there is little we can do with complaining about it...

(4) The confusion I see is that Immigration changed the residence certificate's name from "surat keterangan domisili" (as in the Government Regulation) to "surat keterangan tempat tinggal" (in the Ministerial Regulation) , and so some officers interpret it as the city's Government "SKTT - Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal" , which is a mistake in my view .

Article 153 of PP no.31 Year 2013
        (2) Application for KITAP...by attaching:
        a. A valid passport;
        b. photocopy of valid KITAS except...;
        c. certificate of domicile (surat keterangan domisili);

Article 62 of PM no.27 Year 2014
        (2) Application for granting a KITAP.. attaching:
        a. letter of guarantee from the sponsor;
        b. A valid passport;
        c. residence certificate (surat keterangan tempat tinggal) ; and

(5) I think that you are safe as soon as your application is accepted (when Immigration accepts your application's documents) .

Article 65 of PM no.27 Year 2014
        (3) Application for extension of the KITAP can be submitted...
        (4) The application as intended in paragraph (3) is registered before the KITAP expires, there will be no overstay if the completion exceeds the period of the KITAP.

(6) Yes , I agree that they usually request too many documents .

Part Six of PM no.27 Year 2014
        KITAP Reporting
        Article 76
        (1) Foreigners holding time unlimited KITAP must report every 5 years...
        (2) Reporting as intended in paragraph (1) is carried out...by filling in the data application and attaching :
        a. A valid passport;
        b. KITAP ; and
        c. residence certificate (surat keterangan tempat tinggal).

Article 79
        (7) The Head of the Immigration Office completes the approved report...by:
        a. interviewing and collecting biometric data in the form of photos and fingerprints;
        b. issuance of registration number and KITAP and explanation...on the foreigner's passport and the maximum 2 years Re-Entry Permit;

Comment

• TheSion
          • Mar 2012

I think this is what they refer to as SKTT in this case, even tho the concept is slightly different.
          (5) The confusion I see is that Immigration changed the residence certificate's name from "surat keterangan domisili" from the Government Regulation to "surat keterangan tempat tinggal" (Ministerial Regulation) , and so some officers interpret it as the city's Government "SKTT - Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal" , which is a mistake in my view .
          Yes, indeed.

(6) I think that you are safe as soon as your application is accepted .
          I just wonder what are the odds of asking the applicant the money of the MERP if the application has not been 'accepted' - By logic, one would think that the application would be considered accepted (as Article 79 indicates) after the interview with the Kepala KanIm, then he would give the 'go' then biometrics then immediately pay the MERP, perhaps in order to help me in this case the KanIm crew asked me to pay the MERP first just to speed up things - Tomorrow will share the end of this story, let's see.

TS

Comment

• marcus
            • Jul 2008

(a) ...By logic, one would think that the application would be considered accepted (as Article 79 indicates) after the interview with the Kepala KanIm,

(b) then he would give the 'go' then biometrics then immediately pay the MERP, perhaps in order to help me in this case the KanIm crew asked me to pay the MERP first just to speed up things...

(a) In my view , "accepted application" means when they started the process - the applicant receive a paper with information about the process (your name , name of the process , .. , present date and a date for you to come back) - a proof of documents' submitted for starting a specific process . Immigration gives it after making sure everything looks ok , in a quick check of the required documents one submits to start a process .

(b) In the past we only paid an Immigration process (except visas at the Embassy) at the end , just before the boss signs the stamp in the passport . Nowadays Immigration is asking us to pay at the beginning of a process .

Comment

• TheSion
              • Mar 2012

Ok just back from the KanIm, I cannot but help to be a bit disappointed because I expected a worth interview, a true conversation with an intellectual individual, a dialectical duel, an exchange of ideas, thoughts and visions of the future and all I got was a...

"So where are you from?"

I swear to God is the only question I got and, obviously was not with the Kepala KanIm, but with the bored, dry and probably fed up till the bones to talk with foreigners petugas of the biometrics. He was not even responsive to small talk really.

In and out, 20 minutes tops.

I regret not being able to ask about the requirements in the Articles 76, 77 and 79, apologies to kopijava for not being able to inquire about the change of sponsor as well, but I get it is what it is.

Thanks marcus for all the information and references.

Now just to wait for some WA message or email to pick up the - apparently - new KITAP card and passport.

Regards,

TS

Comment

• TheSion
                • Mar 2012

As additional detail, I have received today an email with the following information:

------

Approval Notification of Electronic Permanent Stay Permit

Dear,
                NAME_HERE

Permit application with application number NUM_APP has been approved with detail as follow:
                Name : NAME_HERE
                Passport number : PASSPORT_NUM
                Permit type : PELAPORAN ITAP SEBELUM WAKTU LAPOR KE - 1
                Register number : REG_NUM
                Date of issue : 25-03-2024
                Validity : from 25-03-2024 until 27-03-2029
                Sincerely,
                Kelas I Khusus TPI Ngurah Rai Immigration Office

Notice:

Please do not reply this email

------

Yes this is what I base the theory that once you have the bukti pembayaran of the MERP pretty much proves anyway that you have in fact, processed the report.
                So if we backtrack in the chronology, the 25th was the day of my original post, hence the day of the MERP payment which leads us to confirm that the day the application is approved is actually the day you pay the MERP.

Regards,

TS

Comment

Working...
                X