X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roomi
    • Sep 2008

Dual Citizenship

I am an indian citizen married to an indonesian girl and i am stayin in indonesia for almost 2 years.

I will be very thankful to any one who can tel me is it possible to apply for a dual citizenship where i can get more information and how much is it going to cost

thanks in adance
  • atlantis
    Banned
    • Jul 2008

May I ask what is your actual status in Indonesia? KITAS? VSKB? Since when? Is your marriage legally recognised in Indonesia? (ie, registered to the Catatan Sipil/KUA)
    Sorry to be inquisitive, but these information are important to be able to reply fully.

Comment

• roomi
      • Sep 2008

Dear Sir I have kitas for almost one year and my marriage is a regitered marriage.

Comment

• atlantis
        Banned
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by roomi View Post
        Dear Sir I have kitas for almost one year and my marriage is a regitered marriage.
        Nice to be called "Sir"... I am not used of that, usually it is more like "HELLO BULE !"... Thanks anyway

To make it short, Since August 2006, Indonesian wives married to foreign husbands (should it be plural?) can sponsor their husbands to get a temporary resident permit (KITAS).
        Citizenship law says that after 5 years staying consecutively as a temporary resident you will be authorised to formulate a demand to become Indonesian citizen. Bear in mind that this is just a demand, not an automatic right and there is a few conditions (Pasal 9 undang undang 12 tahun 2006) such as:

- being fluent, or at least have good command, in Bahasa Indonesia
        - not have spend more than 1 year jail (it allows you to mess... but not too much)
        - not to be insane
        - be over 18 years old
        - pay the fee (this is a percentage of your declared income)
        - not hold a second citizenship. You will have to revoke your indian citizenship.
        - having a proper job and income. This part is the most funny because you are not entitled to work on a temporary resident permit sponsored by an indonesian wife.

If they refuse your citizenship request, you are however entitled to have a KITAP which is a Permanent resident permit (you get an upgrade in a certain way even if you didn't get the big prize...) which allow you to stay for 5 years straight and offer a few other priviledges (gold member kind of stuff)... but still you don't have the right to work...
        Last edited by atlantis; 09-09-08, 20:40. Reason: Spelling mistakes due to alcool consumption

Comment

• pipi.lebat
          • Sep 2008

[FONT=Verdana]Indonesia[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] now permits dual citizenship ONLY for children with parents of mixed nationalities until they reach age of 18 yrs. After that, the child has to choose his/her nationality within a further 3 yrs.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
          [FONT=Verdana]Foreigners can receive Indonesian nationality after giving up their previous nationality. However, in rare cases, foreigners deemed to be vital to Indonesia have been permitted to hold dual citizenship by the president of Indonesia. [/FONT]

Comment

• roomi
            • Sep 2008

I think this should not be called be as dual citizenship.

it a matter of choice again whether u want indonesian citizenship or return to your home country.

So why we calling it a dual citizenship.

Comment

• atlantis
              Banned
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by roomi View Post
              I think this should not be called be as dual citizenship.

it a matter of choice again whether u want indonesian citizenship or back to place where u belong to.

So why we calling it a dual citizenship.
              It i not really called a dual citizenship.
              The citizenship law of 2006 acknowledge a limited dual citizenship for kids under eighteen and not married (two conditions), born from an indonesian mother and a foreign father.
              As per Pippi said, there is very rare case of adult dual citizenship offered by presidential decision.
              However, things may evoluate in a (rather far) future.

Comment

• farhan
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                It i not really called a dual citizenship.
                The citizenship law of 2006 acknowledge a limited dual citizenship for kids under eighteen and not married (two conditions), born from an indonesian mother and a foreign father.
                As per Pippi said, there is very rare case of adult dual citizenship offered by presidential decision.
                However, things may evoluate in a (rather far) future.

Hmmm can we go and visit the president and request him to allow all expat married to indonesian men or women , for dualcitizenship.

I heard that MR. President Dr Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is a very kind hearted person..

We can greet him Ramadan and in this holy month also we can tel him the difficulties an expat face if he decide to stay in indonesia after getting married to an indonesian citizen and a dual citizenship will be the biggest privilage Indonesian govt can offer on the cuase of humanity.

correct me guys if i said anything wrong im outta words hu hu i got a bit emotional while writing down.

Comment

• atlantis
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by farhan View Post
                  the difficulties an expat face if he decide to stay in indonesia after getting married to an indonesian citizen and a dual citizenship will be the biggest privilage Indonesian govt can offer on the cuase of humanity. correct me guys if i said anything wrong im outta words hu hu i got a bit emotional while writing down.
                  Let's say that you get a little carried away in your statement that it would be the biggest priviledge Indonesian government could offer on the cause of humanity...
                  Things may change in the future. Keep hope and try to find in the law what is more appropriate to your specific case.
                  Good luck.

Comment

• pipi.lebat
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by farhan View Post
                    Hmmm can we go and visit the president and request him to allow all expat married to indonesian men or women , for dualcitizenship.

I heard that MR. President Dr Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is a very kind hearted person..

We can greet him Ramadan and in this holy month also we can tel him the difficulties an expat face if he decide to stay in indonesia after getting married to an indonesian citizen and a dual citizenship will be the biggest privilage Indonesian govt can offer on the cuase of humanity.

correct me guys if i said anything wrong im outta words hu hu i got a bit emotional while writing down.
                    [COLOR=#000000]Mr. SBY wld not allow that. Indonesia is not an immigrant society like America and is stil a relatively new country that has memories of foreign domination by the Dutch and Japanese colonial rulers. So, the goverment is slow to adapt to a globally connected sosiety which accepts people's having multiple citizenships.[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#000000][/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=#000000]Also property rights are tightly regulated to ensure foreigners do not marry local Indos to take advantage of the local property markets [/COLOR]

Comment

• atlantis
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by pipi.lebat View Post
                      [COLOR=#000000]Mr. SBY wld not allow that. Indonesia is not an immigrant society like America and is stil a relatively new country that has memories of foreign domination by the Dutch and Japanese colonial rulers. So, the goverment is slow to adapt to a globally connected sosiety which accepts people's having multiple citizenships.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Also property rights are tightly regulated to ensure foreigners do not marry local Indos to take advantage of the local property markets [/COLOR]
                      I do agree with your first part, stating that the very stict citizenship law is a direct heritage of 300 years of colonialism and foreign dominiation. This for sure gave birth to a quite nationalistic country.

However you second part does not seem accurate to me. I do not see a lot of foreigners who would marry to "take advantage of the local property markets"... The myth makes me smile... These foreigners would be really stupid, because in case of a divorce, the bride would receive in many cases half of their assets abroad on top of half of what they possess in Indonesia! I think that getting married requires a bit more than just what you pointed. Any educated (at least a minimum) foreigner would know it... On top of that many countries offer a much better and much secure return on investment for Real Estate than what offers Indonesia. If the property right are stricly allowe to Indonesian, it is ONLY for the same reason that you were pointing: nationalism inherited from colonialism. The bule marrying only to "take advantage of the local property market", if he exists, is far from being a majority or even a strong minority.
                      I just would like to remind you that it took more than 61 years for Indonesia to recognise the right of citizenship to kids born from a foreign father and an indonesian mother. Would you tell me that it was to avoid that they take advantage of the local property market in a complot with their foreign father???
                      There is only one reason for such regulations: An over exaggerated indonesian nationalism. I can understand the source of it but can not admit that one make an apology of it !

Comment

• Black Adder
                        suspended member
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by pipi.lebat View Post

But Hak Pakai does exist.......

Comment

• Kuntarini
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
                          I do agree with your first part, stating that the very stict citizenship law is a direct heritage of 300 years of colonialism and foreign dominiation. This for sure gave birth to a quite nationalistic country.
                          I think the reason is more to protect job vacancies available for Indonesian. The job fields for educated people relatively rare compared to increasing number of graduates, while at the same time, there is a trend among employers to hire foreigners instead of locals, not because of the quality, but most because of market demand - companies that hire bule would be seen "international" & "bonafide". And the government is quite aware of it.

For example : any "bule" coming here would be hired to be an English Teacher easily, regardless their education - and the worst - their ability in teaching English. Even worse, courses accept anyone as long as he/she is a foreigner - better if he/she is a bule - despite the fact that they are not from English-speaking country, and can only speak English of intermediate level. No matter how good you are, as long as you are Indonesian, you will only get half of expatriate.

As a travel writer, I am capable to produce a writing in two languages : Indonesian & English, with quality. And the magazine is bilingual. But still, I get only paid less than half of any foreigner who can only produce in English.

Sorry, I am just sharing facts, dont mean to offend
                          Last edited by Kuntarini; 14-09-08, 11:23.

Comment

• atlantis
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kuntarini View Post
                            I think the reason is more to protect job vacancies available for Indonesian. The job fields for educated people relatively rare compared to increasing number of graduates, while at the same time, there is a trend among employers to hire foreigners instead of locals, not because of the quality, but most because of market demand - companies that hire bule would be seen "international" & "bonafide". And the government is quite aware of it.
                            Erm... I would agree with you if the central law concerning foreign workers wouldn't date from... 1958 (UU nomor 3 tahun 1958 tentang Tenga Kerja Asing) . No revolution since then, and it paved the way for the actual regulation. Back then, I don't think it was very fashionable to have expats on the pay roll.

Comment

• atlantis
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Kuntarini View Post
                              Sorry, I am just sharing facts, dont mean to offend
                              Your point of view is an interesting one and in NO way offensive.
                              Last edited by atlantis; 13-09-08, 05:52. Reason: Removing the typing mistake which made a very confusing counter sense !

Comment

Working...
                              X