X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrcibubur
    • Feb 2009

Indonesian Driving Licence for a Foreigner

I am about to begin the process to obtain an Indonesian Driving Licence. I have just obtained my Kitas from Bogor Immigration. I have made the initial enquiries about obtaining an Indonesian Driving Licence from Polres Cibinong and I am following a link to an online website recently provided by Atlantis.

The pre-requisites are as follows:

1. Surat Permohaonan dari Sponsor
    2. Surat from Foreigner stating Height, Body Details, Mother/Father Name
    3. Copy of Passport
    4. Copy of Visa
    5. Copy of SKLD
    6. Copy of Kitas
    7. Copy of SKTT
    8. Copy of STM

The criteria for the above was explained by the guy in the STM office but I shall check more details on Friday when I pick up my Kitas STM.

1. Sponsor Surat should be in the same format as all the other Sponsor Surats and with Matrai

2. My own letter to the Polres disclosing height, weight, body details etc should of course be typed and signed by me but not on a Matrai

3. Note that the STM, SKTT and SKLD must all be obtained before the Indonesian Driving Licence can be applied for

4. It is a separate Driving Licence for Motor Car and Motor Cycle - SIM A and SIM C. If you intend to use both vehicles, then you need BOTH SIMS

5. TWO Applications means two sets of documents, two application forms, two fee payments and possibly two medicals

6. I hold a UK Driving Licence which is paper counterpart and photo ID card. Even if I obtain an International Driving Licence online (as some forum members have suggested), I MUST still take the Driving and THEORY Test to obtain the test (subject to medical)

7. the TEST will be different for Motor car and Motor Cycle

8. Nothing is processed same day, so it will involve a lot of wasted time while arriving in the morning, joining the queque, paying the fees, having a medical, taking the 'tests' and hopefully picking up in a couple of days

9. I will know more about the actual fees and exact criteria on Friday morning.
    Last edited by mrcibubur; 15-06-11, 09:26. Reason: additonal words
  • jave2001
    • Apr 2011

I will suggest to save yourself a lot of time and frustration just get an agent. It will cost between Rp.500,000- to 700,000- for both SIM C and SIM A. You won't need the medical or take the test and it will be done the same day. You will need to bring your passport and KITAS. I can tell you from experiance and the experiance of others if you insisit on taking the test, first they will argue and ask why you want to take the test then they will fail you and of course charge the fee to retake the test, they will do this until they get the money they want or you give up.

Comment

• subseageorge
      • Apr 2011

Dear All,
      Do you need a KITAP, Or Kitas to have a driving licence????
      Sorry i am a bit new at all this ,,
      But learning fast,
      Thanks

Comment

• jave2001
        • Apr 2011

Yes you need a KITAS or KITAP to get an Indonesian drivers license.

Comment

• john madden
          Banned
          • Sep 2008

Acquired my SIM today - used an agent (distant relative, lives close by). He took copies of KITAS, SKTT, PP etc etc a couple of days ago to POLRES and set it up. Reported this morning at 8.50am - was called into the back office a few minutes later. Signed a form, had photo and thumb prints taken and was issued the SIM - initially for 5 years, but they realised their mistake and grabbed it back and issued another for 1 year (still longer than current KITAS period). Total time 35 mins most spent chatting with very pleasant Polisi and civilians. Asked where and when do we pay, they said fix it up with Kang (the agent). Wife slung them 50,000 for smokes all round. I expect we'll pay only a little more than the official fee as Kang has been picking my brains lately - he's had an enquiry from a local girl who's got a bule lined up!
          For the SIM process I also recommend using an agent based on my experience today.

Comment

• mrcibubur
            • Feb 2009

John, it was very much in my mind since my original posting. I am going through the extra hassle of getting a duplicate driving licence from UK but there have been many on the Forum who have suggested using an Agent to get the SIM and I think I will be doing the same.

let us know the amount of the actual fee you pay for your SIM. Did you get the SIM for both thew motor car driving and the motor cycle SIM A AND C?

As I see it, the cost of paying 500 or 600 to an Agent is in this situation justified against the hassle of dealing with Indonesian system and Test for the SIMs.

Comment

• john madden
              Banned
              • Sep 2008

Yes will let you know when I eventually pay. SIM for car only - I don't trust my hand/eye/foot coordination on bikes. I had a look at the file - no copy of the international license, and although they had a look at my Qld/Australia license they didn't bother copying it.

Comment

• john madden
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

Final outcome - 500,000 for license via Kang the agent , 50,000 for Intel via Kang, "whatever" for Kang - gave him 50,000 - plus the voluntary sling 50,000 mentioned earlier - total 650,000.
                Forget to mention - when Kang first went to POLRES with the docs they voluntarily pumped out another STM in case I'd neglected to report myself earlier - very thoughtful the mob at Banyuwangi.

Comment

• noname
                  • Mar 2011

John,

That's cheap. I was told I had to pay 1 mil IDR by the satpam at my mother-in-law's place. I've yet to make mine. I guess, I'll hold and see if I can get a better deal
                  I'm fully devoted to my job. 10% on Mon, 20% on Tue, 40% on Wed, 25% on Thurs and 5% on Fri.

Comment

• john madden
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2008

Yeah I thought so - maybe it's just the POLRES Banyuwangi - they've been a pleasure to deal with throughout the KITAS and now SIM process. Or once again maybe it's the twelve-month old gado-gado detective charmer.

Comment

• wm
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2008

LOTS more information on Drivers Licenses here - http://www.expat.or.id/info/driverslicense.html
                      Danielle Surkatty
                      Member of the Organizing Committee
                      Living in Indonesia, A Site for Expatriates
                      https://www.expat.or.id/

Living in Indonesia Expat Forum
                      Webmaster
                      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/

Comment

• The Consultant
                        • Jan 2012

Is it possible to get SIM A & C in indonesia(jakarta) with just a social visit pass(30 days tourist visa)? I will be going to Indonesia very often for 3 months before I decided if I want to apply for a work permit and base here on a permanent basis.

I currently do not have a license as it has been revoke(both motorcar and motorcycle) in my home country.

Paying to get it fast and hassle free would not be an issue.

Comment

• all4ywh
                          • Oct 2009

Have any expats applied for a new SIM A or SIM C at any of these new outlets mentioned in the below article?

Want a driver’s license? Go to the mall The Jakarta Post | Fri, 02/17/2012 10:50 AM

JAKARTA: The Jakarta Police’s traffic directorate says it has opened outlets in several shopping malls to issue or renew driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations.

“We realize that many Jakartans have their days jam-packed with work and other activities, not to mention the city’s maddening traffic conditions,” traffic directorate deputy chief Sr. Comr. Wahyono told The Jakarta Post.

“This is our way of saying that it doesn’t matter if you don’t have the time and the energy to visit us. We’ll just get closer to you,” he said.

Kompas.com reported that there were currently five outlets where residents could take advantage of the service: Mal Artha Gading in North Jakarta; Mal Taman Palm in Cengkareng, West Jakarta; Cililitan Wholesale Center in East Jakarta; and Blok M Square and Gandaria City in South Jakarta.

Three outlets in Greater Jakarta area offer vehicle registrations only: Depok Town Square, Plaza Pondok Gede and Metropolitan Mall in Bekasi.

For further information, the traffic directorate can be reached by text message at 1717 or at tmc@lantas.metro.polri.go.id.
                          Last edited by all4ywh; 23-02-12, 09:30.
                          [COLOR=#0000ff]"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
                          What if we begin to view each other as part of one human family?[/COLOR]

Comment

• Bali_Freak
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ScooterIndo
                            Better off buy an international drivers licence in Bangkok as it is valid for 5 years and you can drive everything on one licence.
                            I may be wrong, but I thought for those of us on a KITAS an International licence isn't valid. And as Atlantis mentioned in an earlier post, if you have a serious accident with an invalid licence you may have extra problems.

Also, some health insurance policies mention that you won't be covered if you are driving illegally.

Anyway, coincidentally I'm off to get my SIM (A + C) in Bali tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

• davobali
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Bali_Freak View Post
                              I may be wrong, but I thought for those of us on a KITAS an International licence isn't valid.
                              I dont exactly know for sure ..., but I highly doubt it - because while you are on a kitas you are still a citizen from your home country where you lawfully obtained an international licence , that is valid in all the agreeing countries of the world (including indonesia ).

While you still have citizenship in your home country , and a valid local drivers licence for that country (which is required for you to obtain your international licence) , I doubt that having a kitas would cancel out the validity of your International licence . IMHO An international licence is what it is - "international " . Atlantis / Marcus / someone , will chime in if I am to be corrected on this .

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍