X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcus
    • Jul 2008

Indonesian Visas at Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur (KL) is a good alternative for people who want to get an Indonesian visa . I got there some Visit Visas - Social Cultural/Family - single entry ( popularly known as Sosbud Visa - single entry) , which costs a little more than its official price (USD50) , but in Malaysian Ringgit , with the usual sponsor's letter ( see sample here : http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...=5217#post5217 , post no.4 ) + a copy of sponsor's KTP , + 2 photos 3cmx4cm , + one copy of the relevant pages of my passport , including the Malaysia's entry stamp . See all the requirements in the Embassy's website : http://kbrikualalumpur.org/w/2017/02...-requirements/ ((KL Visa General Req.)

Note : When the spouse is the sponsor , a copy of the marriage certificate may be requested .

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...952#post296952 (Caution at the KL's Embassy , post no.52)

A return/outward ticket may be also required for Sosbud Visa (see comments about it in the ref. below) : http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...y-ticket/page2

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...12650-Question , ticket

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ne-way-flights , outward ticket

Unfortunately , since August 2017 , the Embassy states it will take 4 days to issue a Visa .

Hotels/Hostels in KL are also cheaper than in Singapore .

For the Sosbud Visa , be advised that they may give you only 30 days instead of the usual 60 days , mainly if you have been using Sosbud Visas continuously .

First time in KL ? No problem , KL has a good/cheap public transport system .

To plan your trip :
    http://www.bank-holidays.com/listing_6.htm
    www.airasia.com
    www.tigerairways.com

The Indonesian Embassy is at Jl. Tuan Razak , 233 , between the cross with Jl. Bukit Bintang and Lorong Inai , at northeast from "Sentral KTM" (train) Station , and east from "Pudu Raya" Bus Station .

Transport (old prices , only for comparison) :
    a) between the 2 airport terminals (normal/KL International and budget/LLCC ?) :
    (1) bus (about 15 min., MR$2.5) ,
    (2) taxi (?)

b) Airport <> downtown (Sentral KTM Train Station or Puduraya Bus Station , Sentral being a more organized place) :
    (1) high speed train only to/from Sentral (30 min , MR$35) ,
    (2) bus (about 1 hour , about MR$9) .

c) Pudu Raya Bus Station <> Embassy :
    (1) taxi (about 8 min., about MR$7) ,
    (2) walking ( about 30 min.)

d) Sentral KTM Train Station <> Embassy
    (1) taxi (about 10 min , about MR$9) ,
    (2) monorail train/taxi : Sentral <> Imbi monorail Station (about 7 min. , MR$1.6) + Imbi <> Embassy , by taxi (about 5 min. , about MR$6) ,
    (3) monorail+walking : Sentral <> Bukit Bintang monorail Station , by monorail train ( about 9 min. , MR$2.1) + Bukit Bintang <> Embassy , walking (about 22 min , better make short cuts to reach Lorong Inai , from Jalan Bukit Bintang , and then turn left at Tuan Razak) .
    (4) (info from Shinta) " from KL Sentral went to Medan Pasar (RM1) and got a free bus to go to KLCC and from there took the bus number B114 (there are two different ones with the same number, according to the direction, I donĀ“t remember now the name but make sure is going to Jalan Tun Razak (RM1), just stops opposite to the Indonesia Embassy" .

Many places for shopping : a big Shopping center at Sentral Train Station , many smaller shoppings centers near Bukit Bintang monorail Station , a big shopping center (Time Square) at Imbi monorail Station and another big at Mid Valley KTM Train Station (about 5 min. from Sentral KTM Train Station , by train , MR$1).

Note 1 : most of the above times are estimated considering the distance in the map , taxi cost if using the taximeter .

Note 2 : MR$ = MYR = Malaysian Ringgit
    Last edited by marcus; 10-03-15, 00:49.
  • atlantis
    Banned
    • Jul 2008

Thanks for your input Marcus. It for sure make a big difference with the KBRI in Singapore where they still require 3 working days to issue a simple visa!
    About the 30 days, it is already the trend in some embassies abroad for the Visa Kunjungan Wisata (tourist visa), where they are keen to deliver it only for 4 weeks (this is the case of the KBRI in Berlin for eg.) matching (almost) the length of the Visa on Arrival. However for Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya they are still issuing 60 days visa, but I think that as you did, it is worth having it confirmed by the embassy staff before releasing your passport.

Comment

• JavaSatu
      • Nov 2008

Visa in Guangzhou, PRC

I normally visit China two times a year. In February I visited the Indonesian Embassy Guangzhou. They specified that I needed a sponsor letter, my wife's KTP, and marriage certificate. Also, it will take 7 business days to process my visa application. However, when I went to the embassy in Guangzhou, the front counter made me make a copy of my USA passport in the adjacent hotel business center. When I arrived at the front desk, the clerk said I needed a letter from Indonesian Immigrant Office.

I said this requirement was not specified in The Consulate General of the Republic Indonesia Guangzhou's website. I argued and finally spoke to a consulate general and he it was new regulations from head office. This was totally cramp/rubbish.

Basically, I wasted my entire morning applying for my visa. I had to replan my trip: hotel and travel arrangements.

Lesson learn...contact the office and ask specify inquiry before visiting the embassy.

BTW, on my way back to Jakarta, I finally had my visa issued on the same day in Singapore. If I am not mistaken, S$175 for 2 months (extendable for 4 months), total of 6 months Visa.

JavaSatu

Comment

• MadCat
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
        Thanks for your input Marcus. It for sure make a big difference with the KBRI in Singapore where they still require 3 working days to issue a simple visa!
        About the 30 days, it is already the trend in some embassies abroad for the Visa Kunjungan Wisata (tourist visa), where they are keen to deliver it only for 4 weeks (this is the case of the KBRI in Berlin for eg.) matching (almost) the length of the Visa on Arrival. However for Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya they are still issuing 60 days visa, but I think that as you did, it is worth having it confirmed by the embassy staff before releasing your passport.
        You sure KBRI in Singapore takes 3 working days for it? When I went for a visa run to get my KITAS done, agent picked up my stuff at 8pm and got my junk back the day after around 4pm. Unless ofcourse you're talking about an "unassisted" run... agent got paid enough to smoothen the way I'd say
        sigpic
        bassist, perl ninja, random stranger

Comment

• Black Adder
          suspended member
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by MadCat View Post
          You sure KBRI in Singapore takes 3 working days for it? When I went for a visa run to get my KITAS done, agent picked up my stuff at 8pm and got my junk back the day after around 4pm. Unless ofcourse you're talking about an "unassisted" run... agent got paid enough to smoothen the way I'd say

And considering how much hotel rates got raised this year from last year it makes sense to make things smooth........

Comment

• atlantis
            Banned
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by MadCat View Post
            3 working days is the rule... agent bypass the rules by sticking a few SGD in the right hand to have it done in just a couple of hours. An "unassisted" via seeker can do the same by talking to the right guy at the counter and obviously not at the public rate.

Comment

• MadCat
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
              3 working days is the rule... agent bypass the rules by sticking a few SGD in the right hand to have it done in just a couple of hours. An "unassisted" via seeker can do the same by talking to the right guy at the counter and obviously not at the public rate.
              That answers that question then The two times I've had to go I've always dug up an agent and had him do it, paid about 200 SGD for it both times so I guess that smoothes the wheels
              sigpic
              bassist, perl ninja, random stranger

Comment

• marcus
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by JavaSatu View Post
                ... However, when I went to the embassy in Guangzhou..... the clerk said I needed a letter from Indonesian Immigrant Office.
                .................................................. .................................................. .....................
                BTW, on my way back to Jakarta, I finally had my visa issued on the same day in Singapore. If I am not mistaken, S$175 for 2 months (extendable for 4 months), total of 6 months Visa.
                JavaSatu
                It should be noticed that S$175 is about US$114 , well above the official US$45 fee . I suppose you got the visa through an agent , correct ?
                When I first started getting this visa , I was told to get approval from Jakarta to start the process . I did that for some time until I learn that it was not really necessary . Once in KL , when it was 3 days to get a Sosbud , one officer told me that if I get approval from Jakarta , it would be 2 days instead of 3 . But at that time , just one day paying a "special" fee of MR$100 more , with or without a previous Jakarta's approval . The Embassy used to do this express service without agents and giving an official receipt for the total fee (MR$270) , no surprise that they were sued , probably because of angry agents)
                Last edited by marcus; 10-12-11, 22:44.

Comment

• sherry
                  • Feb 2011

So you are saying it would be easier to gain a social visa in Malaysia or Singapore then it would be to gain one Indonesia?

Comment

• marcus
                    • Jul 2008

Except for the Visa-on-arrival , Indonesian visas are issued at an Indonesian Embassy (outside Indonesia) . As I read in this Forum , for the Sosbud Visa/Business Visa - multiple entry , you must get the ok from Jakarta's immigration before you go to an Embassy . For the Sosbud Visa - single entry , you may also do this way , but what most people do is to go directly to an Embassy without dealing with the Jakarta's main immigration office .
                    For citizens of a few countries , Indonesia also requires a visa request starting in Jakarta .
                    Last edited by marcus; 10-12-11, 22:53.

Comment

• Davita
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by sherry View Post
                      So you are saying it would be easier to gain a social visa in Malaysia or Singapore then it would be to gain one Indonesia?
                      Sherry....your question indicates that you need to read the sister site for best information :- http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html

There you will find all rules relevant to Indonesia's visa requirements.

A Sosbud can only be issued by an Indonesian Embassy/Consul in a foreign country. They are NOT issued in Indonesia. Only extensions to that visa are issued internally in Indonesia.

Normally a Sosbud is first applied in the visitor's country of residence. Extensions, up to 6 months, are applied for in Indonesia., Thereafter, the visitor must leave Indonesia and receive a brand new Sosbud in a foreign Embassy/Consul and return.

Some foreigners, wanting to reside in Indonesia for longer than the initial 6 months, use KL or Singapore to get those second or third visa's rather than return to their country of origin or residence.

Regarding your quote "it would be easier" you should know that, in regards to immigration, 'nothing is easy' in Indonesia.

Comment

• TheGodFather
                        • Feb 2011

Any decent hotels round the area?

Comment

• ilkato
                          • Jan 2009

thanks for the info concerning the embassy i KL...

Comment

• mike4july1972
                            • Sep 2011

I applied for VITAS in Indonesian embassy in Kuala Lumpur. According to my experience, the best time to submit the documents is around 9AM. You need to get your number in the line. In the afternoon the embassy may refuse to accept any documents. On the 27 September 2011 there were very many foreigners in the visa section of the embassy, I had to wait for many hours to submit my application. On the 28 September 2011, though, there were very few people there. Usually, applicants collect the documents in the afternoon.

There may be a mistake in the address of the Indonesian embassy in Kuala Lumpur published on their webpage.

That is how Indonesian embassy in Kuala Lumpur looks like:
                            http://llii4.narod.ru/2011/2KualaLumpur11Sep.jpg
                            http://llii4.narod.ru/2011/3KualaLumpur11Sep.jpg

This is where to get the number in the line:
                            http://llii4.narod.ru/2011/1KualaLumpur11Sep.jpg

I took budget taxi from the LCCT airport to the Indonesian embassy in Kuala Lumpur, paying 75 RM (approximately 25 US dollars), this took approximately 1 hour.

I my friend gave me a freed ride from the embassy to the train station, took train from around the Indonesian embassy to KL central bus station paying 2 RM and then yellow bus to LCCT for 8 RM, this would take approximately 2 hours (to get from the embassy to LCCT airport) if my friend did not give me a free ride to the train station.

The Air Asia flight from Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta was 2 hours delayed at night of 28 September 2011.

I stayed in a good hotel “Sempurna” http://www.hotelsempurna.com/ in Kuala Lumpur.

Comment

• Pak Gondrong
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2011

Last time you could be able to get 1 year multiple entry visa now no matter what's written on letter they give 60days max. Even now some of my friends told me that they got 1 year but I dunno how... I didn't see the visa.

Also last time there was something called express visa, but now it's better no more express because all express. It's true must go 9am if you go there late, you can collect only following day afternoon.

If you planning to visit book your hotel from agoda, agoda give much cheaper than commercial rates, I used to have accounts in some hotels, closed all, useless. Stay in Bukit Bintang many cheap nice hotels.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍