Are you tired to wear brackets and wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bad_azz
    • Feb 2011

That'd be me then, I shall consider my hands slapped... I was not intending to mock, I - as per pusp (it seems) was amused by the wires & brackets.

I don't often "mock" anyone's English in here... in fact I would say the only people I have done this "mocking " to are those advertising themselves as English teachers, when clearly they don't have a sound command of the language.

Personally I couldn't care less how good or bad someone's language skills are. BUT in the context of placing an ad - one wants to give off a professional & thought out message, one does not want the readers distracted by inaccurate language - one does not want a distraction from the actual message.
    Surely one wants one's readers to grasp what is on offer, & not stop at the first line?

So, call it mocking if you wish, I call it fair & constructive criticism, even if I was perceived to be a bit harsh.
    Cicak Magnet

Comment

• macvert
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
      If I may participate in the joking (without meaning any offense to pinky!) I am guessing that bad_azz will appreciate it when I say that when I read the thread title, I thought the advertisement was for a new kind of brassiere. (Those underwires suck after a while, don't they?)
      I thought exactly the same .... (although I have no personal experience)
      The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

• atlantis
        Banned
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
        I call it fair & constructive criticism, even if I was perceived to be a bit harsh.
        People advertise in English because it is the media used by this website. Your problem of "distraction" is I am afraid only a concern for (some) native English speakers. Many (most) non native English speaker would not give a rat's ass of the fact that it is correct or incorrect English and I believe that non native speaker may be the majority. They are much more concerned by the fact that the service proposed fits their need or not, which is what we expect from the product she sells. If the title of the thread may have been confusing the core of the ad was explicative enough to clear any possible confusion.

In the future, please refrain from saying to a non native speaker that his/her incorrect English "makes him/her look stupid" or to imply that he/she was lazy not to have "google(d) similar adverts and look how it is being advertised in English speaking countries" (another user), even if he/she intends to sell anything. This is basic courtesy among users and this is the policy of the Expat Forum.
        Last edited by atlantis; 07-03-16, 20:01.

Comment

• Gray Dog
          • Jan 2011

Atlantis, thanks for that last reply. Having learned the Indonesian language to a degree, I know that speaking a language perfectly is not the primary requirement so long as one can communicate.

Comment

• pinky321
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by atlantis View Post
            People advertise in English because it is the media used by this website. Your problem of "distraction" is I am afraid only a concern for (some) native English speakers. Many (most) non native English speaker would not give a rat's ass of the fact that it is correct or incorrect English and I believe that non native speaker may be the majority. They are much more concerned by the fact that the service proposed fits their need or not, which is what we expect from the product she sells. If the title of the thread may have been confusing the core of the ad was explicative enough to clear any possible confusion.

In the future, please refrain from saying to a non native speaker that his/her incorrect English "makes him/her look stupid" or to imply that he/she was lazy not to have "google(d) similar adverts and look how it is being advertised in English speaking countries" (another user), even if he/she intends to sell anything. This is basic courtesy among users and this is the policy of the Expat Forum.
            thanks Atlantis to implement and give basic courtesy in this Forum.

Comment

• pinky321
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Happyman View Post
              Pinky, do you know of anyone who is offering the treatment where they fuse and harden your teeth?
              Sent you PM

Comment

• acquisto
                • Jan 2016

When a patient initially gets their braces placed on their teeth, they will have some discomfort or sore teeth. The normal period of time to get use to braces, right after they are placed, is about one week or less. The majority of discomfort is the day after the braces are placed. That day is the hardest. With subsequent monthly appointments, after initial placement, your teeth may be sore for just a day or two or not at all. So the first week is the hardest.
                hi

Comment

Working...
                X