have you ever been to Vietnam? could you please share some advices or recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shinta
    • Jul 2010

have you ever been to Vietnam? could you please share some advices or recommendations

I know this is not a forum to talk about Vietnam but I think some of you probably have been traveling or living in Vietnam. I am planning to go there for two weeks with my husband and our daughter who is 10 years old.
    We have not plans yet, just flight to Hanoi and probably stay a few days and after heading to Sapa and going to the south to come back from Ho Chi Minh.
    Do you have any recommendations or advices for us? any nice experiences do you think we should try? Any nice memories you want to share about Vietnam and their people? moments? food? places? beaches? islands? markets?
    I didn't think about to travel on motorbike!! do my husband need an international license to rent a motorbike there? my husband is Indonesian, good he and our daughter not need visa or to pay to enter the country.
    By the way I would love to travel by train!!
    Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..
  • londo_edan
    • May 2012

Buy the LP guide, its very good. I stayed in a cheap hotel near the famous South Lake for about 10 days last year and it was fabulous, lovely old-world style city which is very easy to walk around. Incredibly cheap also.

HCMC was less interesting for me, its much more built-up. I think I stayed in a hotel in district 7 ?

I've heard the coastline is very nice, Da Nang.

You want to shed some pounds before you go as the Viet street food is out of this world. For me the various soups, breads and snacks were on a par with Malaysia (which is saying something).

Viet people are super friendly also.
    Vengeance is mine; I will repay.

Comment

• JavaSatu
      • Nov 2008

Hi Shinta,

I was in Ho Chi Minh 2 years ago and I stayed for one week. My hotel was across the street from the Saigon Sky Deck. I also stayed at the Japanese/Korean area. Both places are in District 1. If you stay in District 1, you can walk to most shopping places. You will probably need 2-3 days to see Ho Chi Minh.

Places to visit in Ho Chin Ming:

Saigon Sky Deck. This is the tallest building in Ho Chin Ming. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to visit the Sky Deck because it was closed for cleaning.

Not sure if your husband eats pork, but there is a great cafe across the street from the Sky Deck. The flat noodles with BBQ pork is very good. Also, the French bread sandwich is also very good. It was so good, I bought 3 back to Jakarta for my friends to try. If you are interested, I can search for the address or photo of the cafe.

See the full picture of traditional and modern Ho Chi Minh City from the city’s highest viewing point, Bitexco Financial Tower’s Saigon SkyDeck. After rising in the fastest elevators in… Read More »

Ben Tran Market. This market is less than 5 minutes walk from Saigon Mall. The day Ben Tran Market closes at 6pm and you will find food from Vietnam, coffee, backpacks, clothing, etc. After 5 pm or 6pm, the night market is opened outside of Ben Tran Market.

A bustling market in the daytime and a social center after sunset, Ben Thanh Market is absolutely a must-see attraction of the most dynamic city of Vietnam.

If you are in Ho Chi Minh, visit Saigon Mall for export quality clothing. You can find a lot of knock-offs and real NorthFace backpacks for +/$20.00-$25.00/per bag. Also, a lot of Nike, Tiger and Adidas sports shoes. Also, a lot of fake True Religion jeans. You will probably find a lot of nice clothing and backpake = for your 10 year old daughter. Remember to bargain!!

In your hotel where you will be staying, there will be tours available to see tunnels, Mekong River (stinks and dirty), candy manufacturing, etc. If I am not mistaken, the tour for bus and boat ride for one day was $40/person. This includes lunch (not special). Should you decide to take the tour, remember to bring umbrella or rain jacket.

If you are a coffee drinker, remember to try the ice coffee and buy couple of kilos while you are in Vietnam. The ice coffee beans are moka and robusta beans, mixed.

Overall in Vietnam, the food is inexpensive compare to Yangon, Myanmar (I just came back from there last week).

....I might be also visit Ha Noi next month and researching where/what to do there.

PM if you have any inquires and have a nice trip.

Comment

• Shinta
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by londo_edan View Post
        Buy the LP guide, its very good. I stayed in a cheap hotel near the famous South Lake for about 10 days last year and it was fabulous, lovely old-world style city which is very easy to walk around. Incredibly cheap also.

HCMC was less interesting for me, its much more built-up. I think I stayed in a hotel in district 7 ?

I've heard the coastline is very nice, Da Nang.

You want to shed some pounds before you go as the Viet street food is out of this world. For me the various soups, breads and snacks were on a par with Malaysia (which is saying something).

Viet people are super friendly also.
        Thanks a lot for sharing your experience about Vietnam, one of the things we enjoy the most when we are traveling as well is to try all the street food, the 3 of us love to eat and especially new things and things local people eat.
        Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

• Shinta
          • Jul 2010

Javasatu, thanks a lot for all the recommendations and links!! I will save them and have a look.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍