X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanhellsink
    • Jan 2014

I'm in Kathmandu It's Been Pretty Awful

The devastation after a 7.9 and 6.5 earth quake has been pretty awful here in Kathmandu. Was lucky to escape from my guesthouse, building heaving making it difficult to stand and debris falling in streets outside. Scary!! Two hotels on my street destroyed with many deaths and many other guesthouses and buildings collapsed in the tourist center of Thamel.

Spent the night outside in the rain at a park then came to the Australian embassy where there are 60 of us in tents on the embassy grounds. Still after shocks and tremors. Plenty of fuel, food and water for us for a couple of weeks and the Australian embassy has outstanding as well as well prepared. Rumor at embassy camp of Australian Air Force C130 for evac of Australians - unconfirmed.

Airport, hospitals and embassies are heaving with people trying to get out or get help.

Profiteering from airlines, taxis, food stores etc rampant.

so many affected here.

up until yesterday French embassy turning away all nationals.

Two travellers were locked in their guesthouse as staff left to endure a large after shock.

Met travellers who arrived at there hotel/guesthouse dropped off their bags heading for food returning to find their lodgings reduced to rubble.

USA embassy no longer taking people in.

People being treated in the street with IV's etc out front of hospitals and health centers.

Officials/doctor to reach 50 Australians at a party outside Kathmandu

Will post pics and add more shortly.
    [COLOR=#008000][FONT=arial]I tried to wrestle my inner demons once... but they used too many illegal holds.[/FONT][/COLOR]
  • Jaime C
    • Jan 2011

I went to KTM in 2011, and mostly enjoyed it. I certainly feel bad for all the people there.

Looks ms like you picked an interesting time to be there. At least you're alive. Keep us updated.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

• Puspawarna
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Yikes. Glad you are okay.

I never gave it any thought until the quake hit, but I am only 1 degree removed from a lot of people in Nepal. My son's best friend returned from several months of study their just a few weeks ago (thankfully the people he became close to during his studies there are okay).

One of my friends has a lot of extended family there - fortunately, they were all gathered for some kind of family celebration when the quake hit. As a result, with just one frantic phone call it was possible to ascertain that 100% of her relatives had survived. Thank goodness for that! (I guess they are all living in the front yard of the family matriarch now.)

Keep us posted on how things go and let us know when you have left.

Comment

• Vanhellsink
        • Jan 2014

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Ambassadors Brief TO Australians Camping In Embassy Grounds[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]3700 confirmed dead.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]International airport has only 9 bays for planes. With planes carrying aid from abroad now arriving as well as commercial flights, there is delays and we now have planes in holding patterns.warnings of many [people at airport and get out there asap for booked flight. Guards witnessed shoving locals and travellers alike as people try to get out.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Domestic airport now operational.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]120 Australians now at embassy.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]Continued warnings on further quakes.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lucida Grande]4 DFAT officials arrive from canberra

water truck delivery for showers and washing

food and bottled water for two weeks

[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#008000][FONT=arial]I tried to wrestle my inner demons once... but they used too many illegal holds.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

• smilingstone
          • Jan 2015

Glad that you're ok. Write us some stories, your stories. If possible.
          Stay safe and warm.

Comment

• Vanhellsink
            • Jan 2014

Got out of Kathmandu today, gone to Pokhara. As we boarded we were informed priority to be given to humanitarian and international flights. Spent four hours on the tarmac waiting in a small twin prop plane with endless cargo carriers and international flights coming and going before us.

Nepal completely unprepared for this inevitable event with the government having difficulty with logistics and resources on how to distribute the huge amount of aid flooding in.

Nice to be in Pokhara where it seems to be a million light years away from Kathmandu.

Comment

• Mister Bule
              • Oct 2012

We were in Kathmandu (and Pokhara) in December, 2013. Spent a nice, chilly but sunny afternoon in Durbar Square. Apparently it was really devastated, and likely the building we took these pics from / on is a pile of rubble now.

Fatality count keeps on going up, as expected.

NEPAL 073.jpg

NEPAL 092.jpg
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

• Vanhellsink
                • Jan 2014

Some pics I took around my guesthouse in Kathmandu immediately after earthquake, some of the special forces deployed from nations, humanitarian aid and life at the Australian embassy.

Tried inserting pics but loading from computer function is unresponsive/doesn't work, URL file size too big from my imgur account and basic upload fails.
                Last edited by Vanhellsink; 29-04-15, 11:21. Reason: can't load pics

Comment

• Vanhellsink
                  • Jan 2014

Pokhara just had significant quake, told 6.9. Kathmandu may have got it again.

Somewhat disconcerting to go through these and might be time for a beach .

Fuck anothervone

Comment

• Puspawarna
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

USGS is calling it a 7.3, and only 15k deep - quite shallow, which generally makes the damage much worse.

I see there has been a significant aftershock just now as well. Probably more to follow. Stay safe, Van!

Comment

• lantern
                      • Dec 2009

The monsoon season is also looming and will probably result in further damage and disruption due to landslides. I gather from people living there that Nepalis, especially those in rural villages, are trying to stock up before that happens.
                      "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• lantern
                        • Dec 2009

A guy called Johnny Fenn posted these on Facebook (they are his photos I believe) They give an idea of the challenges involved in the cleanup stage. I think they are from Kathmandu.

"[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                        X