mixed marriage in singapore (different religion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • annchen
    • Sep 2009

mixed marriage in singapore (different religion)

Hi everyone,

lately I did a bit of research on this topic and I would like to share my findings... maybe it is of help to some of you

Since it is not possible for foreign-indonesian couples to get married in Indonesia unless they have the same religion many choose to get married abroad (singapore or hongkong) where no such regulations exist.

Reminder: before getting married abroad you should make an Indonesian prenup because otherwise the Indonesian spouse will loose the right to own land in Indonesia.

So this is what you have to do to get married in Singapore if at least one of you is not muslim (if both of you are muslim the procedure is different):

1. contact a solemnizer (list of solemnizers http://app.rom.gov.sg/internet/reg_i...terpreters.asp) and get him to sign a consent form http://www.rom.gov.sg/WebServer/reg_..._Solemnise.pdf
    2. One of you has to stay in Singapore for at least 15 days (excluding the day of arrival).
    3. After 15 days you can file the notice of marriage online (prepare your passports, the solemnizer's consent form, passport of two witnesses aged 21 or above) and pay the fees
    4. print a copy of the "filing instructions" and keep your notice number in a safe place
    5. both, you and your spouse need to go to the Appointment for Verification of Documents/Statutory Declaration and bring the documents stated in the filing instructions
    6. within 21 days until 3 months after the notice of marriage you may get married... the certificate of marriage will be issued straight away

In case you have been married before you need to produce a certificate that the marriage was terminated or in case you are a widower that your former partner has deceased. Foreigners do NOT need to produce a certificate of capacity for filing notice of marriage. More FAQs are answered here: http://app.customerfeedback.mcys.gov...1#200410411514
    After getting the marriage certificate you may have to legalise it at your country's embassy so that your marriage may be valid in your home country.

Even though a certificate of capacity is not needed, you may need it when getting the marriage recognised in your home country... pls check

Ok, that's all I've found... if I made any mistakes pls correct me or give advice in case something is missing.
    Hidup itu pilihan!
  • nickie
    • Dec 2010

Thank you for your information, I would like to add more on this topic.

Don't forget to register the overseas marriage at Indonesian Embassy where the marriage takes place, and also you need to register it again at Catatan Sipil within 30 days of your arrival back to Indonesia, otherwise there would be an administrative sanction up to a maximum of IDR 1 million.
    [COLOR="navy"]Leave the gun, take the cannoli[/COLOR] - The Godfather

Comment

• aqty8
      • Aug 2009

annchen and nickie, thanks for the detail info.
      Wondering what needs to bring to register the overseas marriage at Indonesian Embassy in Singapore. Is Certificate of Marriage sufficient?
      Do you know how long it takes to get the overseas marriage registration paper from Indonesian Embassy in Singapore?

Thank you

Comment

• annchen
        • Sep 2009

they asked for the marriage certificate which must be legalised by the ministry of foreign affairs singapore (this costs 10 Dollars and takes about 15-30 minutes). they also asked for our passports and my husbands KTP. we went there in the morning and picked it up the next day at noon. it's really simple actually
        Hidup itu pilihan!

Comment

• aqty8
          • Aug 2009

Thank you very much, annchen

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘